Tuesday 1 March 2011

Movies of February

  • Sanctum 3D
As a person with a fear of both small spaces and drowning, this was perhaps not the cleverest of movies to have gone to see. I found this truly terrifying. The movie follows a team of explorers, who are trying to find the source of a river deep in some underground caves. Everything goes horribly wrong however, and without giving too much away, they end up trapped under water inside these caves. The tension in this movie does not let up from start to finish, and you'll find yourself hiding behind your own hand at multiple points.

  • Megamind 3D
So funny I saw this a second time!

  • Black Swan
 I did an entire write up on this movie when I originally went to see it. Incredibly moving and disturbing, and well deserving of the awards it was nominated for. Even the CGI and VFX in this movie out shines most movies out at the moment.

  • Gnomeo and Juliet
 One of the many 3D animated movies out at the moment. An incredibly funny and oddly accurate take on the Romeo and Juliet story. Cute touches, such as the chips of paint and the ceramic sound the gnomes make when they touch make this movie. Much in the same vein as Toy Story, if you liked that you'll love this.

  • Yogi Bear 3D
Probably more for the youngsters amongst us, but I have yet to grow up. A very typical feel good movie, with a green moral message dressed up with lots of gags and razzle dazzle. The animation is brilliant, both managing to capture the characters from the original cartoon, whilst making them look real and fully integrated into the live action footage. One for the family, particularly with young children in tow.

  • Paul
What a brilliant movie and really made my inner geek squeal with delight. I have been fans of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost since they appeared in the TV series Spaced, and they do not disappoint. Though the story is littered with plot holes in order to force a sneaky twist at the end, it still does not fail to entertain and amuse. Seth Rogen voices the alien Paul, and animators somehow managed to incorporate his mannerisms into the character. It really a genius piece of art work. I recommend this to any self proclaimed geek, the Star Wars references alone will be well worth the cost of the ticket.

  • Just Go With It
Why tell the truth when you can lie and manipulate people? This film goes to great lengths to show you exactly why you should just be honest whilst managing to be hilariously funny. I laughed out loud from start to finish, though find some moments oddly tense when it seems certain that the web of lies is about to unwind. Enjoyable no brainer fun. Just go with it.

  • True Grit
This movie really is a revitalization of the Western genre. I can't say I am a massive fan of this genre of movie, having only ever seen the Fistful of Dollars/A Few Dollars More/ The Good The Bad the Ugly trilogy and Seven Samurai, I am probably not the most qualified to write a detailed comparison. What I will say is that I really enjoyed this movie, particularly the role played by Matt Damon, he really is a chameleon! The characters somehow manage to be both the stereotype and three dimensional.

  • Big Momma's House: Like Father Like Son 
Big Mamma movies are a guilty pleasure of mine. I am no Mark Kermode, I will not rip apart a movie for being unintelligent. If you enjoyed the previous films, you will enjoy this. I would probably go as far as to say this is the funniest yet. Manly men dressed as fat women, what more could you want from a comedy?

  • I Am Number Four
Honestly the story confused me. It fell into the trap that most fantasy movies do, of trying to explain things with fake science that doesn't quite work. However, that aside, it is a great action and romantic flick and it is a shame it ends when it does. To me it seems they are making way for a sequel. The VFX are brilliant, with lots of balls of light being blasted around, laser guns firing and alien magic. Meanwhile the aliens makeup are somewhat terrifying though the voice of the 'big bad' sounded oddly like Yogi Bear.

  • The Rite 
I would be interested to know exactly how much of this movie is based on a true story. Some fantastic acting, backed up with some scary demon possession. It gave me chills. It is also worth noting the cinematography, there were some brilliant camera work going on, which made this movie even better.

Movie of the Month

Quite a bit of brainless fun this month, not a lot of substance. Black Swan is an incredible movie, and would be well deserving of my movie of the month title. However, Paul has a special place in my heart, and is my favourite movie this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment