Wednesday 9 February 2011

Black Swan

When I saw the trailer for this movie, my first impression was that it would be some depressing underdog movie about overcoming all odds. The Rocky Balboa for the female audience with a touch of lesbianism to keep the chaps happy. It was perhaps because of this snap judgment that it took some persuasion for me to see this movie. I can not emphasis enough how wrong I was. There is a reason it nominated for a list of awards as long as my coursework to-do list, and why IMDB has it placed in the top 250 movies of all time. It is spectacular, and nothing will prepare you for what you will see in that cinema. Even if you read a whole host of spoilers you will still sit gob-smacked from start to finish. If you have have yet to see this, read no further, and book a ticket for your nearest cinema for the soonest showing. Despite being out for several weeks now, the cinema tonight was still sold out, and a massive queue had formed for the following show.

This story is about a ballerina, aspiring for perfection and longing for the legendary role of the Swan Queen. She is an innocent thing, with a room filled with stuffed toys in a flat shared with her slightly unhinged, overbearing mother. She is perfect for the White Swan, her company leader tells her, but what about her transformation into the Black Swan? Even early on one could guess how this story will go, yet sitting there watching it unfold before you is still breath taking. It's as if you sit behind our characters eyes, never knowing what is reality and what is her imagination. As she slowly breaks down, becoming this other version of herself things get weirder and weirder, and that is no understatement. By the end I was hanging off the edge of my seat, hand over mouth, not even daring to blink.

What impressed me more than the perfect performances of the actors, the choreography and the incredible story telling; was the camera work. It always seemed to be in the perfect place. A still could be taken from each frame of the dance performances to give a beautiful poster. The visual effects at the end were utterly surprising, yet worked so well. The animation was a piece of art in itself. If I was in the habit of rating movies, I would certainly give this a 10/10. The only movie I could compare this to, is Fight Club, as strange as that may sound.

And yes, there is a lesbian love scene, so ladies I suggest you casually drop this into conversation before asking the boyfriend to take you to see this. ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment