Friday 5 August 2011

Book Snobbery

When faced with the open choice of what exactly to write my dissertation about, my initial response was: a) write what you know, and b) write about something your lecturer will like. So obviously having already written an essay on him, and knowing my lecturers love of him, I chose Milton Glaser.

Obviously I then changed my mind.

I appreciate that Glaser is in fact one of the greatest graphical minds of our time (and even a previous time) but why should i write about what I already know about? Surely the whole point of this dissertation, and even university, is to learn. I want to be able to research and develop, perhaps find a passion I didn't know I had, and even a whole new inspiration that will blast my practical work into a whole new dimension.

I switched my idea to comic books, and how they translate to the movie industry. This may seem like an odd decision, certainly a more difficult one, and one of no academic consequence. I definitely know what my colleagues think, having put up with their mocking as I sit nose deep in graphic novels as they play countless games of bridge. But I believe this to be the correct choice.

From an early age I remember being taught to read. My mother, brilliant woman that she is, used to play games with flash cards, slightly larger than a deck of playing cards with words and images on front and back. Connect the correct word to the picture is how it all began, and later copying entire sentences, learning spellings and joining up letters. By the time I started first school I could already read. My fondest memory is of curling up in bed with my mother, all jim jammed and surrounded by pastel stripes and brightly coloured pictures of animals as she read to me. My brother, 2 years older than I, would feign disinterest but would eventually end up perched at the end of my bed as the story went on. I never remember picture books, always proper hard back books; The Famous Five, Brear Rabbit, and my all time favourite, The Magic Faraway Tree. As I got older it was I who read to her every night and eventually, I read alone.

It was this advanced reading ability which led to a certain snobbery. I didn't read books with pictures(except for a certain dinosaur book - how embarrassing). In year four when I was just 8 or 9 I remember sitting in class reading Watership Down, a massive 400 page beast that put the other children in class to shame. Whilst they were discovering comic-books and using the pictures as aides, I was far ahead. Perhaps this is why, up until this summer I had never read a comic-book. Now I have developed an overwhelming need to enter this world and find out what I've been missing all these years. I have friends, intelligent people, who know the Marvel universe like it was their own. I watch the new Marvel movies and catch just a glimpse of of that wonder. I'm a decade late, but this is as good a time as ever, and now the otherwise useless information I shall gather will in fact have use.

No comments:

Post a Comment