Tuesday 9 August 2011

... Why? (My thoughts on the riots of UK)

I'm not particularly knowledgeable on politics or on social or economical issues, and thus I rarely use this blog to stand on my soap box because a) I fear ridicule when commenting on something which is obviously wrong, and b) I fear the backlash of making a statement which is potentially politically insensitive. This is why I choose to stick to the film industry. However the news of the last few days has had me both scratching my head and completely aghast. I believe everyone has the right to put their comments forward and I know many have and I will too.

What causes me the most confusion is the cause of this situation. We have young people of various backgrounds (I don't believe this is a race problem but a class problem) standing up and claiming they are ignored and mistreated by the government. Having not lived in these sorts of places I'm afraid I can't say whether or not this is true, but I am forced to ask the question, "If you are angry at the government for your rubbish lot in life, why are you then burning down YOUR OWN COMMUNITY, rather than taking the fight to those responsible?" Meanwhile people of the same community, are suffering because some misguided youths have decided to burn down their homes and their livelihoods. THIS DOES NOT HELP ANYONE.

Another reason put forward by those more knowledgable than I, is that they are bored. Yes I agree that the vast majority of the violence that occurred last night was nothing to do with the previous suggestion, but in fact young people witnessing the riots in Tottenham and jumping on the bandwagon. They're bored, they're angry (aren't all teenagers?) and they believe they can get away with it. Plus you can get some really cool swag. IS THIS REALLY AN EXCUSE?! Sorry but it wasn't long ago that I was a teenager and when I got bored, I played computer games, read a book or went for a bike ride. Go home, and play FIFA, stop setting fire to things! For some reason this generation has it's moral code on backwards and this is something that seriously needs to be looked into. The causes of this stretch back a long way and it is no good simply arresting and bailing the offenders, something needs to be done to prevent this happening again.

Currently I am Living in the country I have little fear of the sort of violence we see on the tv, but I fear for my friends living in London and Birmingham, I hope the peace is maintained tonight. Good luck to those serving in the police force. Stay safe.




No comments:

Post a Comment