Tuesday 1 February 2011

Movies of January

On the first of every month I plan to list and write one line reviews on every movie I have seen last month. I have one or two from December in this list as it predates the start of this blog.

December 
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 1
Visual Effects insanely good, particularly the skin of the house elves. Not the best Harry Potter movie, it lacked action, and definitely felt like a set up movie to Part Two, but this is primarily due to the slow start of the book more than the film itself. Amazing performances by the main cast. It's amazing how they have grown.

  • Unstoppable 
Very tense, oddly enjoyable. The characters felt real so you really cared what happened to them. Great performances throughout.

  • Megamind 3D
Truly hilarious. I laughed a full on belly laugh most of the way through.

  • The Chronicles of Narnia: The Dawn Treader (x2)
So good I saw it twice. Amazing in 2D, spectacular in 3D. Can't wait for the next installment.

  • Meet the Fockers: Little Fockers
A very funny third part to the story. If you loved the first two, you'll love this.

  • Gulliver's Travels
Certainly funny, Jack Black gives his usual hilarious performance. The effects look really good, I need to find out exactly how they did them! Enjoyable, but a shame that I had seen most of the movie already in commercials.

January  
  • Tron Legacy 
I don't come from the generation of the original Tron movie, but I realise it has a cult status. I watched the original before seeing this, and I honestly think that they have done it justice. The graphics have been brought right up to date, whilst managing to stay true to the originals. All the major Tron landmarks were seen, and the story was an interesting follow on.

  • Season of the Witch
I went to see this primarily because from the trailer it looked like an Assassins Creed movie. It is not.I did enjoy it though, and for most who enjoy the medieval action adventure will enjoy this. Great performances from the cast, particularly Robert Sheehan from Misfits. When he first appeared on screen I thought he was to be the comic relief, but he pulled off a straight role brilliantly.

  • 127 Hours (x2)
Intense, terrifying, truly brilliant. I love Danny Boyle, I love this movie, and I want this on dvd.

  • The Green Hornet 
I'm not sure as to why it needed to be in 3D, other than for the incredible closing credits. It's probably one to see in 2D. A funny action comedy, exactly what you would expect from Seth Rogen. I have seen the original TV series (though not the comic) and may never accept anyone in the role of Kato other than Bruce Lee, but I did thoroughly enjoy this movie.

  • The Dilemma
Everybody's nightmare scenario. Do you tell your best friend that you saw their spouse snogging someone else? There is no correct answer for this, and Vince Vaughn spends 111 minutes trying to work this out. Not my favourite movie. I found it oddly tense and so couldn't fully enjoy the humour.

  • Tangled 2D
A very funny and enjoyable movie from Disney. There was singing, dancing, lots of running around and a smattering of romance. I loved this, it brought out the child in me. Not entirely sure on the moral message of "ignore your mothers wisdom, she's probably an impostor anyway."

  • The Next Three Days 
Not as action packed as I expected, but very tense. Great performance from Russell Crowe. I'm not his biggest fan so this is high praise from me. Certainly an interesting movie, a little concerned that it's a bit of a how too guide for breaking and entering.

  • Morning Glory
Hilarious. The chemistry between characters is perfect. I imagine this to be a true representation of what goes on behind the scenes of morning tv. Not entirely certain this should be dubbed a rom com, as the romantic story is very much a mack seat to the relationship between producer and TV presenter.

  • The Mechanic
This is very similar to the Transporter movies in style and execution. Jason Stathom is on fire. Ben Foster was alo brilliant, I was interested to see the length of his filmography as I have never actually spotted him in anything. It was also interesting to note this is a remake of a movie from the 70s. When I get my hands on it, I'll be able to compare.

Movie of the Month
Has to be 127 hours. I can not get over how intense a movie primarily made up of a man being stuck in a hole, can be! Brilliant.

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe you haven't seen the King's Speech!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear it is amazing, but it's not really my cup of tea. I may give it a go. I have plans to see Black Swan tomorrow so at least I'll see one Bafta Award winning movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just been to be Black Swan - Effng awesome, I can't fathom the hard work that has gone into the SFX, they are seamless (in my layman's opinion). You should watch Kings Speech, truly brill - and also hilarious a lot of the time!

    ReplyDelete