Tuesday 18 October 2011

Feedback + Research: Composition

Today I had a one to one with my module tutor to go over my pitch and project tests. The main criticism I took away from is, is that I need to work on my composition. I tend to shoot strait on and central, it was suggested I research into Dutch Tilting and S curves.

Dutch Titling
Dutch tilting is often used to depict  madness, unrest, and disorientation in German Expressionism. It is where the camera is tilted so that the vertical lines come from the center at an angle. 





I particularly like image shot one with the high contrast open doorway really adds to the sense of foreboding.

The second shot of the castle across the water looks amazing, and would work perfectly as an opening shot, rather than the pan up the castle as originally visualised.

The use of light in the final shot is also quite inspiring for the internal shots inside the castle, and the Scream movies (shot 3) are a perfect example of creating intensity and claustrophobia which is exactly the sensation I am trying to create.

Composition
For extra help with composition I have been looking at stock images on shutter stock of corridors and arches. I'd like to bring extra depth and texture to the spell shot below.



I particularly like the depth and the curves drawing the eye into the image. I'll have to take this into considering the final compositions for the story boards. Ideally I'd like these to be nailed down before the end of the week. Every shot is to be a work of art!

No comments:

Post a Comment